LGV (HGV) TESTING

simon stolly

I took my class C (rigid vehicle up to 32tonnes) about 2 months ago. Went to a training company and paid for 4 days' tuition with a test on day 5. I've been driving big stuff off road since before I had a license so it was mainly a matter of ironing out bad habits. I thoroughly recommend this approach. It isn't cheap but these guys know the testers and know what they want to see you do. And the outcome...? :-D

Go for it and good luck!

Does the test still follow the old pattern at a HGV test centre, off-road of:

* Reverse out of a parking bay around a pole or cone and into another parking bay.

* Drive forwards through a slalom of poles or cones and into another parking bay

* Drive out the parking bay and perform an emergency stop.

* Then out on to the road for an assessed drive.

???

It was relatively easy on an RL for the Class 3, bit of a pig with a Mk 1 Militant for the Class 2 and a bl&%dy nightmare on an Antar for a Class 1 :schocked:

Does the test still follow the old pattern at a HGV test centre, off-road of:

* Reverse out of a parking bay around a pole or cone and into another parking bay.

* Drive forwards through a slalom of poles or cones and into another parking bay

* Drive out the parking bay and perform an emergency stop.

* Then out on to the road for an assessed drive.

Didn't have to do the 2nd of those, but the others, yes. You also have to answer a few questions about where to fill up your windscreen washer fluid and what mudflaps (sorry, 'spray suppressant equipment') are for :roll: . Then about 40mins out on the road including a 'gear change excercise', where you have to go up the gears from 1st to 3rd, and then back down again. I don't understand what this is supposed to prove though??? I surprised the examiner by double de-clutching down!

I'm suprised it hasn't changed more than that!! ;-) I recall the questions now - these were before the test started for me.

I was lucky on my class 3 - took it at Purfleet test centre and for the road test the new examiner took me through Dagenham - where I live! Came around a bend and started braking for some road works I knew were there and the examiner asked why I was braking. I said for the road works and he asked how I knew about them - I did a bit of quick thinking on the fly and said I'd seen the warning sign back down the road we'd come down. Got back to the test centre and was given the pass cert plus a commendation on my observation skills. :oops: :oops: